Pages

Monday, 27 September 2010

What are the ways

to show my experience through art? But then we always or only I always or some of us always come to the question of what art is. What art can be. How you see art would be completely different to how I see art. When I'm trying to interpret the experience I had in the Korean military for two years of my life I try to show it in every sense. I at least try. When I try it could be myself wearing my uniform jacket as an outfit or the uniform inner jacket is so warm that I'll be wearing it wherever I go. I talk to people about my experience and sometimes I record the conversations on my dictaphone or on a piece of paper I have at the time. I have produced(this word sounds too harsh or too hard) well I have made a number of performance and video works this year on this subject and I have a lot more that I want to make. At the end of the day I am in an institution studying in this so called degree called BFA(Bachelor of Fine Arts). But then nothing stops me. To a lot of people I am probably to be seen as an art student or an art practitioner but I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT I AM AN ARTIST. In saying that I see everybody as an artist. However a lot of those people do not realise that themselves are artists either.

This year I have been concentrating on making lots and lots of art works rather than concentrating on one work and developing that idea. Not that I don't think that is a good way of working but I have told myself that I will use this year to make works based on my experience as a Korean soldier to look back at it in more of a therapeutic level. My works maybe conceptual or they maybe not but I have been trying to use my works as a therapy to myself to help me get through the time after everything has happened.

The reason WHY I am talking about my experience through these performances and videos, etc is because I once had a friend infact a best friend of mine Justin Hugh Williams(r.i.p), whom I was looking forward to see after having my time in Korea for 2.5 years of being away from him. Every training session I would go through or any kind of weird difficult times I would have to confront I would think of that friend. I wanted to tell him the whole story. I would literally picture him in my head listening to my story and I would even act it out like I was him by myself. Saying things like "hoooowow!! Geeezz  duuude you're a badasss!".. Well he's not here because the guy decided to leave this place or to even disappear almost a month before I got released from the army.
THAT IS WHY I am making works about the experience so that I could have this feeling of telling Justin about my story from the army. Well that is not the only reason of course I definitely know that the story has to be told and also while I was in the service I have planned to tell this story. But this has only changed a little. This story will never end. Well if it was to end it'll end long time after this moment. It might not even finish. WHAT I WENT THROUGH WAS A HUGE IMPACT IN MY LIFE AND I WILL NEVER FORGET. So for now.. eventhough I could be making some great work that I can develop and develop to make it however YOU want it to be.. I don't know.. I JUST WANNA MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE! If you know what I mean. It's almost a research period so that I can use these things to help my works in later time.
enough for now but I will come back to it.

MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE AND MAKE

No comments:

Post a Comment