Pages

Thursday, 17 May 2012

Toothpaste Action Series # 1 Samin Son White Fungus Event @ The Russian Frost Farmers Gallery Wellington New Zealand





 T O O T H P A S T E  A C T I O N   S E R I E S #1

S A M I N  S O N  2 0 1 2


W H I T E   F U N G U S  ISSUE 12 WELLINGTON RELEASE EVENT
@ T H E  R U S S I A N  F R O S T  F A R M E R S  G A L L E R Y

Continuing the life exploration of a South Korean Soldier, this work will take a subversive look at the daily routine and rituals of an artist who was required to do two years worth of service for South Korea. There is a saying in Korean “If you can’t avoid it, you might as well ride it”. 
I had to channel my non-conformist personality through the conventions by overenthusiasm for the mundane pushing a threshold of the limits of conformity. 
During the army I trained for the riot police, had faeces thrown at me, and entered real life riot situations. To toughen me up for the experience, my senior officers would beat me. I had to clean the bathroom floor everyday using toothpaste. 
These moments were my only opportunities, stolen as they were, to indulge in artistic expression. For a time, illicit toothpaste self-portraits were my only medium, often scrawled on a mirror. 
For my performance I will be creating a live action taking an artistic and subversive license to the army conventions. I say once a soldier always a soldier and when the time comes to do the performance I will be ready to report to duty.




No comments:

Post a Comment